Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day 170

So, today Rick's first batch of beer was finally ready to bottle.  Bottling was much different than brewing... there was a lot to be done and I got to help with everything!
First we had to clean and sterilize all the bottles we would need. It was a big project and we ended up with two ice chests of hot water with the bottles soaking in them.  Then we had to peel all the labels off and sterilize them in a special solution.
IMAG0265.jpg
Once the bottles were ready, we had to get the beer ready.  First, we siphoned the beer out of the bucket it had been fermenting in and put it in a clean bucket that had a little tap on it.  We left the gross part of the beer in the fermenting bucket.  I didn't take a picture, but it was really gross looking in the bottom of that bucket.
IMAG0266.jpg

Then we attached this special tool thing (I'm sure Rick would love my totally accurate and technical names for things haha) to the tap that fills the bottles. Beer only comes out of the tool when you press it against the bottom of the bottle.  It's very convenient for not making a big mess.  Then we filled all the bottles up, capped them and stored them away for another three weeks.  I got to try my hand at filling the bottles and capping them.  Shockingly, I don't have the upper body strength to be very good at capping, but I was an excellent filler.

IMAG0267.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the end product, but just picture 49 bottles of beer (on the wall...).  The picture above is a pretty good representation of what it looks like. We also put some sugar in there that the yeast will eat to make carbonation.  It smelled like apples to me and kind of like beer.  Rick said that is supposed to go away as it ages, but I kind of like the apple smell.

So that was our exciting Sunday project.  We finished off our evening with some delicious Beef Stroganoff that I made in the crock pot.  I love cooking in the crock pot... best invention ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment