Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 150

Today it is snowing like crazy here.  We're supposed to get 7 inches, which is a lot.  Rick and I drove together to school for a couple of hours this morning and we definitely used the 4 wheel drive.

Random story...
When my grandparents first got married they lived out in the country in what we now call the 'little house'.  It was a 3 room tiny little thing and there wasn't enough room for everyone, so eventually, they renovated the barn next to the little house into a real house and that is where they lived for 50+ years.  After my grandpa died about 10 years ago my grandma decided she didn't want to live out there in that big house all by herself.  About that same time, my dad had just divorced his second wife and wanted to move back out to the country.  So, my grandma moved into a little condo in town and my dad moved into her house, the house he grew up in.

Since my grandparents built the house 50+ years ago almost nothing has changed.  My dad has kept everything almost exactly the same since he moved in... including a lot of random things in the pantry.  So, when we were out there over Christmas Emily (his gf) discovered these olives in the pantry and wanted to serve them as hor d'oeurves.  When she suggested this to my dad he said, "well you could, but those have been in the pantry for at least 30 years".  lol.  Later that night Rick and I tried to use our phones to scan in the barcode and figure out how old they were. When that didn't work I called the number on the label...that number does not go to the company who made these anymore.  These items are so old they don't even have the modern nutrition labels that all food is now required to have.  They only had a very early version of what we now see, with only about half of the info.
IMAG0227.jpgIMAG0228.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment